
First Baptist Church of Wyoming, New York
Location: 28 Main St. Wyoming, NY 14591
Year Founded: 1810
Established in 1810, the First Baptist Church of Wyoming has continued to be a place guided by the hand of God.
We are so pleased to be able to share with you the history of this Church. Our church has over 200 years of history representing many different pastors, leaders, members, and congregants. Most importantly, it represents lives changed by the work of the Holy Spirit through the preaching of the Word of God.
Thanks to Eliphalet Owen by 1810 there was enough interest for a group of seventeen people to invite a group from Attica to help in the organization of a church. Elder Reuben Osborne, with eight people from the First Baptist Church of the Holland Land Purchase located at Attica, met on September 18th, 1810 to form the First Baptist Church of Middlebury. The seventeen persons who constituted the church were: Eliphalet Owen, Thomas Stetson, Francis Curtis, Betsy Curtis, Jonathan Thompson, Sally Thompson, Salmon Smith, David Thompson, Miss Sally Thompson, Oliver Curtis, Polly Curtis, Isaac Andrus, Clara Andrus, Mrs. Geer, Theresa Smith, and Hannah Curtis.
The Middlebury Academy, founded by the Baptists in 1817, became the first seat of learning west of Genesee. It was to this institution, as principal as well as pastor of the church, that Joshua Bradley was called.
Reverend Joseph Case is the first recorded pastor of the church.
List of Pastors:
Rev. Joseph Case 1810-1818; Rev. Joshua Bradley, 1819-1825; Rev. E.M. Spencer 1825-1827; Rev. David Bernard, Rev. Joseph Elliot, 1830-1838.
In the summer of 1831, a wood frame structure was built. It served the congregation for 45 years until it burned down on December 9th, 1876. During the pastorate of Joseph Elliot the, “Great Revival” took place. It is recorded in the clerk’s notes that approximately 400 people were baptized and added to the church rolls. Rev. B.N. Leach, 1839-1841; Rev. Jesse Elliot 1841-1849; Rev. R. Morey, Rev. T. Palmer, Rev. H. Daniels, Rev. A.A. Russell, Rev. W.C. McCarthy, Rev. J. Mallory, and Rev. Packwood, during the years 1849-1868. Rev. Merrill Forbes, 1869-1877; Rev. R. Tilford, Rev. I.N. Earle, Rev. P. Perry, Rev. W.H. Reid, Rev. A.R. Babcock, Rev. H.B. Johnson, Rev. J.H. Hyde, Rev. E.B. Shaw, 1877-1896. In 1879 the cornerstone was laid in a new brick structure and by 1882 the church was completed, It cost Approx. $7,500. Rev. F.V. Allen, Rev. Joyce, and Rev. Albert Mills were pastors from 1898-1912. From 1912-1920 the pulpit was filled by the Reverends Frank K. Gibson and George K. Hamilton.
In 1921 the Baptist and Presbyterian churches were united and were served by the Rev. Russell M. Brougher for one year. Rev. Francis Malzard was pastor until 1924, when the Baptists voted to worship separately again and called Rev. C. Otto, who stayed until 1927. In 1927-1928 a mellow-toned pipe organ was installed. It required the lowering of the stage and changes to the choir loft.
From 1927-1950 the following were pastors: R.L. Everett, Harold Nelson, Clifford Bristow, Reginald Matthews (It was under Reginald Matthews that the church withdrew from the Northern Baptist Convention), Edson Parker, John Tyler, and Paul Williamson. Rev. Robert Ernest served from 1950- December 1952. It was during his ministry that the cement floors were laid in the basement to prepare for basement rooms.
Sadly, the most difficult-to-locate information is some of the most current information.
Rev. Maurice V. Cornwall came to Wyoming Baptist May. 1st, 1953, and served until around 1967. During his service, the basement rooms were completed, and the sanctuary was completely restored with new pews, rugs, and lights. The Parsonage kitchen was also renovated. Dale Welch served sometime around the years 1967-1973.
Rob Mimna pastored from November 1973 until the summer of 1976. Ron Prucha served after him and then David Seigfried and Pastor Paul Phillips alternated as interim pastors until Pastor Paul Phillips was called as the full-time Pastor in 1978. He served from 1978 until the summer of 1990. An addition of the gym was dedicated Oct. 1, 1989. Ken Miller served as Associate Pastor under the leadership of Pastor Paul Phillips. Pastor Doug Evans served from 1991 until July 2019. Under the leadership of Pastor Evans, Pastor Mike Paris served as the Associate Pastor from June 2001 to April 2009. The Pavilion outback was completed in 2011 and the bridge to the back property was completed in 2012. Benjamin Campbell was brought on as the “Pastor of Ministries” in June 2013 under the leadership of Pastor Evans and served in that role until being voted in as Lead Pastor In October 2019. Pastor Alex Nobles was brought on as Associate Pastor in August of 2022.
Our Current Mission:
There are three things that I want to see our church do:
- Rescue the Lost and Broken
- Know God Personally
- Strengthen the church family
Check out our Website: https://1stbaptistwyoming.com/
SERIAL NUMBER:
24-1401



